The Production Operator works an 8-12 hour rotating shift and reports directly to the Department Supervisor or Manager. The Production Operator is responsible for providing an efficient and good quality product with short lead times and low downtime to the downstream/final operations. The position practices safe work habits and follows standard work methods to meet both customer and API requirements.
- Ensuring quality and quantity of work and product produced is met.
- Proper care/usage/storage of tools, equipment and product.
- Adherence to corporate and department policies, procedures, practices and specifications.
- Working assigned shift schedule as required which may include extended work days and/or hours.
- Accurate and timely completion of all tasks assigned by the Shift Lead, Supervisor and/or Manager.
- Perform duties as part of a group or in an individual type setting.
- Report any discrepancies to the Shift Lead, Supervisor and/or Manager.
- Additional responsibilities may include:Appropriate communication via radio, telephone and/or in person. Proper operation of product turning tools. Proper operation and measurement readings of gauges including Tenths Tape, ID Mic, OD Mic, Dial Snap, Ovality, Pyrometers (hand held and stationary), Steel Rule, Straight Edge, MIL Thickness and Pressure. Accurate and timely completion of daily paperwork. Proper departmental equipment maintenance. Proper equipment start-up, set-up and operation. Verify proper material and quantity prior to and upon completion of product processing. Ensure traceability and separation of material by SLN (heat number), mill order and/or customer. Ensure traceability and separation of properly and improperly processed material. Proper application of stencils and/or color bands to material processed properly and improperly. Proper removal of incorrect stencils and/or color bands. Proper utilization of an Oxyacetylene torch. Proper procurement and delivery of required tests.
Proper evaluation of processed product:Straightness and driftability Size and ovality Surface, end and body damage Test pressure Length and weight Coating coverage Maintain adequate amount of consumable supplies. Maintain organization and cleanliness of work area. Small and/or Large Capacity Forklift Certification. All other tasks assigned by shift lead, supervisor and/or manager.
EXPERIENCE, SKILLS, AND KNOWLEDGE:
- Identifies and resolves problems in a timely manner.
- Gathers and analyzes information skillfully.
- Develops alternative solutions.
- Works well in group problem solving situations.
- Uses reason, even when dealing with emotional topics.
- Adheres to safety and security procedures.
- Reports potentially unsafe conditions.
- Uses equipment and materials properly.
- Must be able to lift maximum 50lbs.
- Must be able to stand and/or bend for long periods of time.
- Must be able to read, write, and communicate clearly in the English language.
- Must be able to work rotating 8-12 hour shifts, nights, weekends, and holidays.
- Basic math skills.
- Basic computer skills.
- Work in environmentally challenging conditions
CRITICAL COMPETENCIES & CAPABILITIES:
- Safety conscious