Primary Activities and Responsibilities- Conductor:
- Ensure compliance with all train orders, signals, and railroad rules and regulations for safety, operations, and the Federal Railroad Administration (FRA)
- Review instructions from supervisor, and discuss with locomotive engineer and train crew
- Inspect all equipment on cars prior to departures
- Receive and transmit information by radio
- Read and understand bulletins, work orders, and switch lists
- Assist and instruct train crews to couple and uncouple cars, operate switches, and make minor repairs to railcars, including replacing heavy couplings or air brake hoses
- Work with customers to ensure accurate movement and placement of cars
- Maintain awareness of surrounding area and suspicious activity to ensure rail safety
- Comprehend color and/or hand signals and systems
- Quickly and repeatedly make precise adjustments in moving the controls of a machine or vehicle to exact positions
- Quickly respond (with the hand, finger, or foot) to visual symbols, signals and displays (sound, light, picture, etc.)
Primary Activities and Responsibilities- Engineer:
- Responsible for safe and efficient operation of the locomotive
- Operation of locomotive, which requires full mobility in seated position facing forward and to the side
- Requires the manipulation of throttle and brake controls as well as interpreting gauges and controls
- Must be able to manipulate valves and switches both inside and outside of the cab
- Applies and releases handbrakes
- Ascends and descends steps and ladders to get on and off the equipment
- Takes directions from conductors and brakemen
- Coupling cars
- Other duties as assigned, as requested/required.
- Must comply with all new and outstanding railroad instructions regarding the operation of the train.
- Must comply with all federal regulations regarding the operation of the train air brakes.
- Assist the Locomotive Engineer in the management of the train and daily work.
- Work Safely and Efficiently.
- Completes work as directed by supervisors.
- Must pass all job and health related examinations.
- Perform switching, make-up and break-up trains.
- Perform ground tasks of coupling and un-coupling cars, operating switches, etc.
- Maintain accurate records of cars handled, repairs performed, and track conditions encountered.
- Communication with management, customer service, crew members, and connecting railroads
- 18 years of age or older
- Valid Driver's License
- 2 years verifiable work experience
- No driving violations involving alcohol or drugs within the past 3 years
- Outside work experience
- Experience operating heavy equipment
- Mechanical experience – Locomotive
- Track Maintenance
- Medium to heavy work, lifting up to 50 pounds occasionally and up to 80 pounds
- Work in cramped, confined, enclosed, or awkward places
- Ride on the outside of rail equipment for long periods of time
- Walk long distances over uneven terrain
- Demonstrate auditory and visual acuity/tracking/inspection
- Must meet color vision requirements as described in the Federal Railroad Administration (FRA) Regulations
- Verbal comprehension(Understand oral and written communications, both general and technical)
- Communication skills (provide clear instructions/directions)
- Reasoning skills (problem solving and troubleshooting skills)
- Work safely to prevent on the job accidents and injuries
- Wear protective equipment including hearing protection, safety-toe boots, or safety glasses
- Complete annual training and pass safety operating rules examination
- Federal regulations require random testing for drugs and/or alcohol
- Must pass all required assessments
- Must pass a background screening
- May require a post-offer medical examination, including drug and physical capabilities test
- Advance to engineer position when required, based on seniority
Work outside in all weather conditions.
Safety is the cornerstone value at Port Muskogee. We are professionals and our activities must reflect that professionalism. Each team member must demonstrate safety advocacy every day – regardless of their role at Port Muskogee. Compliance with safety and operating rules is required and essential to our own safety and that of others.
This is a safety sensitive position. The candidate selected for this position must successfully complete a full physical including a drug test, and prior certification review. Passing results must be received prior to start date in new position.
Job Type: Full-time
Salary: From $22.00 per hour
- 401(k) matching
- Dental insurance
- Health insurance
- Life insurance
- Paid time off
- Retirement plan
- Vision insurance
- 8 hour shift
- Day shift
- Monday to Friday
- On call
Ability to commute/relocate:
- Muskogee, OK 74403: Reliably commute or planning to relocate before starting work (Preferred)
- High school or equivalent (Preferred)
- Driver's License (Required)
- Day Shift (Required)
Work Location: One location